Type: Home Theater
Location: Yelahanka, Bangalore
Scope of Work: Acoustics Design & Construction
Application: Movies & Music
Room Size: 3150 Cu Ft
Interior Scheme: Contemporary
Status: Completed-April 2016
When Mr. Ravi Hiremath was constructing his dream home, he wanted to have a dedicated home theater to watch movies that have multichannel soundtrack and listen to music that is pitch perfect.
To build an acoustically treated home theater that gives viewers an excellent video and audio experience. The home theater had to be cozy and a perfect place for family movie nights.
Acoustics & Audio-Video:
In January 2016 Symphony 440 Design Group home theater consultants took up the project to accomplish Audio-Video and acoustical needs of the desired dedicated Home theater room. Symphony 440 Design Group home theater consultants first assessed the needs of the customer to build the best home theater for him.
Taking cues from the detailed requirement analysis, the Symphony 440 Design Group home theater consultants:
- Built double door to minimize the sound radiation between the home theater & other areas. This helps in keeping the sound inside the home theater room and maintains privacy.
- Designed Audio-Video equipment layout for the home theater and installed high quality Audio quest Home Theater technical cables & interconnects before starting the home theater wall paneling work. The home theater speaker cables that were used were of 14AWG thickness and the HDMI was also top of the line Audioquest, This was done keeping the possibility of a future Home theater system upgrade in mind.
- Treated walls with Acoustic materials like Rockwool, Wood wool boards, Acoustic foam, Fabric and slat Sound diffusion. The acoustic materials used for acoustic wall paneling were of very high quality and provides excellent absorption at the frequencies they are designed to absorb.
- Cut the pre-existing gypsum boards on the ceiling and replaced them with Acoustic boards and other acoustic materials. This was done as the Gypsum board by nature is non acoustic and the ceiling needed to have good balanced absorption because of the presence of Hardwood Home theater flooring.
- Used all the four available corners of the home theater room for Bass trapping to reduce the effect of standing waves. Although the dedicated home theater room had an acceptable room ratio, It was decided to make use of corners for bass absorption so that the bass is even throughout the listening area in the home cinema room.
- Placed a large Polycylindrical acoustic sound diffuser on the back wall behind the listening position in the home cinema room to improve the liveliness and create a room which is free of slap and flutter echoes. This was done using high density Rockwool acoustic material, the acoustic sound diffuser also doubles up as a bass trapping device due to the presence of Rockwool acoustic infill.
- Built a Home theater seating riser with various acoustics materials and hardware to provide a tension free movie watching using home theater recliners and sofas. The Home theater seating riser is at an elevation of 6” from the original floor.
- Used an expensive hardwood home theater flooring to give a much-needed warmth for the sound. There was a lot of discussion between the client and Symphony 440 Design Group home theater consultants initially whether to go with Plush carpet or wood for the home theater flooring, But considering the ease of use and practical aspect of maintenance the client eventually chose to go with Wooden flooring for the entire home theater area including the seating riser.
The customer, who works for a fortune 500 company at a very senior position was very patient and supportive throughout the home cinema room build process and worked with us all along in choosing the right quality fabric for the home theater wall paneling, Veneer and other items. Symphony 440 Design Group home theater consultants handed over a well built, easy to maintain grand looking Home cinema room to the customer in 2 months.